The wonderful folks at Old Schoolhouse Magazine are giving away another freebie! This one looks so fun for the kids! I can’t wait to start it.
It’s 86 pages packed with activities to do that will teach your children all about autumn. Here’s a look at the week you’ll be enjoying together (an excerpt from the website):
There’s much more than this, but here’s the week at a glance highlighting a few of the fun learning and lapbook activities to explore with your children:
Monday, Day 1: What is Autumn?
- Take a fascinating look at the earth, the sun, and the seasons.
- How do the trees change? When is sunrise and sunset in your town?
- Begin work on a vocabulary lapbook activity, adding to it each day.
- Your kids will be fascinated with video links such as: “What Causes Seasons?”, “Earth Seasons with Bill Nye the Science Guy.”
- Make a “Changing Seasons” wheel and “Seasons” flap book.
Tuesday, Day 2: Science Secrets of Autumn
- How are nuts and acorns spread in autumn? What is a harvest moon?
- Find answers to “Why do leaves change color?” with lots of video clips.
- Do the “pigments of autumn leaves” lapbook activity and make a leaf rubbing book.
- Explore leaf identification Internet sites and compare to your collection.
Wednesday, Day 3: People and Places of Autumn
- Answer questions for the Johnny Appleseed petal book.
- There’s a lot to learn about apples—good for cooking, crafts and more! Make apple recipe cards that fit in a special pocket for your lapbook.
- What is a harvest, and what is being harvested near you?
- Take virtual visits around the country to see what autumn looks like in other places. Enjoy coloring and activity pages!
- Watch “The Seasons” powerhouse animation.
Thursday, Day 4: Time for Tips and Treasures of Autumn
- Create animal hibernation and migration matchbooks.
- Develop a time chart of the earth’s position during the seasons.
- Investigate migrating Monarch butterflies and make a Monarch butterflies book.
- Learn about the life cycle of pumpkins, and who taught the pilgrims how to grow them!
- Watch a video of a black bear and cubs in hibernation.
Friday, Day 5: Goodies and Gadgets of Autumn (Fridays are fun days!)
- Where does popcorn come from, and how does it pop? Fashion a book about the process of making popcorn.
- Study the history and manufacturing process of candy corn—that fun autumn candy. Watch the video!
- How do they make apple cider?
- Make a beautiful fall foliage bouquet and decorate with fruit and vegetable prints.
- Creative writing lapbook project: Why do you love autumn?
Plus there are additional fun family ideas: projects, crafts, and recipes.
Although, I don’t know what my kids will think when I start to tell them about all the beautiful autumn colors! You see, we live in Central Florida – the trees don’t turn any kind of color but green and brown. Not particularly exciting. Maybe I’ll look up some pictures online of beautiful fall colors.
Enjoy your lapbook!